Blogs I Follow

Toni's blog
Sarahs blog
Averys blog

Friday, February 20, 2015

1 Trick Down, A Bunch More To Go----Post 3

Well Team,
I have mastered, or at least am able to perform my first trick. This one is relatively simple but causes some deception. The trick is mainly about the shuffling and I have to be very precise and careful not to shuffle wrong, or else the trick will fail. The trick gets 4 aces on the top of 4 piles I've tried the trick on 2 groups of people. The first, I messed up, boo hoo, so I went home and practiced even more. The second time was even different, I succeeded, somewhat. The audience were so persistent at guessing my trick and one person even got it. YIKES!! But I didn’t tell them they were right, I just kept saying no. They enjoyed the trick and that made me feel good.
        The other day I watched Harry Potter and boy it got me motivated.I’ve moved on to try and master 2 more tricks. One that has the jacks robbing a bank, another that is a math sort of trick that I think is the coolest one that I’ve seen so far. It requires me to shuffle correctly, speak certain words the right way and at the right speed. It is pretty difficult so I hope it isn’t too large of a jump.
        Doing these magic tricks has gotten me even more interested and excited. Having to manipulate the cards and do such little things with such precision or else you fail and embarrass yourself puts a lot of pressure on you, but when you succeed its a great rush. I plan on learning 2 tricks or so a cycle and if I start to get good, learn even more then that but for now, baby steps.
       Just when a give a shoutout to YouTube for being my savior. Especially this Youtuber who has helped me learn tricks. This guy is amazing and you should check him out if you want to learn some tricks. Without him I would be nowhere, or on another YouTube channel. Check out his link below.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mismag822

Thats it for now team, make sure to check in every few days for more updates.
David Potter


5 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    It is nice to see that you are making progress. I know in the beginning you were struggling to learn the tricks but now that you have been working it is cool to see the progress you have made. In the next couple of weeks I look forward to seeing you get closer and closer to achieving your goals and getting better at doing the tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,
    Cool idea with magic tricks, not something I would have expected from you. You seem really motivated, which is really good as this is a topic that, from an outsiders perspective, can seem repetitive. I actually just watched a video from the link you posted, and those tricks seem pretty difficult, but I believe that you can do it! I'd actually be really impressed if you can do a really cool one. I'm sure a lot of us are very much looking forward to that video you promised you would post.
    Keep it up, bud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,

    This is an really cool topic idea, and I'm interested to see how much you improve with your card tricks. You seem excited to do this project. I think it's good that you posted a video of how you learned the tricks. It would be even better if you posted a video of you doing the trick for the first time, then comparing that to the same trick at the end of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo David,
    I like the topic and I think that this is a great idea and I have dabbled in magic a long time ago. I may remember a trick or two. They do not take long, so I may be able to show you some time. There are a couple of interesting things you can do with a deck of cards. Try checking out card flourishes like deck false cuts and card springs. They take time and practice to master, but they look amazing.

    I hope you practice and there are a couple of places that you can find some "science" magic tricks, try checking out quirkology on YouTube.

    I hope you hone your skills in the powers of deception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey buddy!!! So proud of you, and glad you're feeling like Harry Potter (even though that's a different kind of magic). Have you thought about your final presentation? Is there gonna be a big trick that you end with, that you haven't told anyone about? I think it's interesting that you chose magic, since it is definitely the art of deception. Good luck Houdini!!

    ReplyDelete