Blogs I Follow

Toni's blog
Sarahs blog
Averys blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Progress- Post 5

Hey team,
I am back from my hibernation ready to give you some cool new tricks. The first thing I learned this week was a new shuffle. A huge part of card tricks is decieving the audience and making them think that when you are shuffling they cards are actually being mixed around. The shuffle I learned is a few steps and is difficult but works very well.
Step 1. Take the deck in your dominant hand and slide a third of the deck off the front.
2. Put that third in the back of your dominant hand and grab another third of the cards. Note do not combine the 1st and third set of cards.
3. Drop all of the cards in the back of your dominant hand leaving the undominant hand with 2/3 of the deck.
4. Drag 3 cards from your dominant hand onto the top of the 1st and 2nd thirds. Place the rest in the back.
5. Take rest of the deck and as you place it back into the back of the deck, take the top 3 cards and put them back on.
For more clarification see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1VEb-baDJY


Now as I promised I was going to learn the "Impress the Ladies" trick. The pun in the title is great and the trick is very good. Instead of telling you how the trick works, I'm going to show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdq6t98odyk&feature=youtu.be


Now after completing this trick I have 5 mastered plus another shuffle. I'm hallway to my goal of 10. I want to now learn some more shuffles and cuts to validate my tricks and make them look more real. This is a major setback as I have to make sure my tricks seem super real and if I can't get the shuffle, some people will not buy into them. As I get better with the tricks, I may want to increase the amount I'm learning as I would get more done quicker.
Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoyed,
David Potter

1 comment:

  1. Hey David,
    Glad to hear it is going well. I like seeing the progress and seeing you do att the tricks in class. Its funny to see the reactions of the kids watching you do your tricks. I know you have a good amount of tricks down already, but do you feel like you could bust out 5 more given the short amount of time we have? Maybe it will be better to focus more on mastering those certain tricks you have already learned so you will good for the TED Talk

    ReplyDelete